Thursday 18 October 2012

Review for Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles #3) by Melina Marchetta

Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)Quintana of Charyn by Melina Marchetta
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

"There's a babe in my belly that whispers the valley, Froi. I follow the whispers and come to the road . . ."

Separated from the girl he loves and has sworn to protect, Froi must travel through Charyn to search for Quintana, the mother of Charyn's unborn king, and protect her against those who will do anything to gain power. But what happens when loyalty to family and country conflict? When the forces marshalled in Charyn's war gather and threaten to involve the whole of the land, including Lumatere, only Froi can set things right, with the help of those he loves.


Melina Marchetta, you have slain completely and utterly until there’s no breath left in my body.
The Lumatere Chronicles has been a wonderful series, and I mean from the bottom of my boogity shoo (in the words of The Platters and whoever else sang/wrote that song).

We start off Quintana with Froi and the rest searching for Quintana and Quintana hiding in the least likely of places…but not really when you think of it. I’m trying not to give anything away and I’m not quite sure if how much more I can say without giving away anything, even if it’s the slightest, because if you’re planning on reading this series, I wouldn’t want anything to detract from your experience.

The plot was paced, I think, just right for how the story unfolds. And the characters, oh the characters. I know, I said this before in my review of Froi of the Exiles, but Froi has grown so much from the boy-who-wasn’t-really that we met in Finnikin of the Rock. He has really come into his own, and … gah… I don’t know what else to say..this book leaves me speechless.

Quintana the mad queen, the savage queen, Quintana the brave…I love you dearly…you have endeared yourself to me just as you endeared yourself to those you have forged a bond with. What you have endured, why you have endured and what you fear (really do you think you could not love your child?) just wants to make me hug you and wrap you up in a nice lil’ cotton ball.

Isaboe, Finnikin, you’re old friends that I’ve been happy to see. Froi’s family (the Charyn one – really Froi you’re definitely loved, you have two families ^_^). You’re a bit dysfunctional, but the love and loyalty has always and will always be there.

Lucian…you’re a stubborn Mont, but I love you. Phaedra, don’t let anyone tell you that you’re not useless and don’t believe it either. You ought to be called Phaedra the strong.

Really though this book was like coming home, everything tying together and did I mention the relationships between the characters. Because I think that was done beautifully, and while I would love to give you examples…I can’t.

Anyone and Everyone. Read the book. ‘Nuff said.

Granted I’d more recommend this series to those 16/17 and up.

But seriously. Read it. You’re missing out on a lot if you haven't.



No comments:

Post a Comment