Sunday 10 June 2012

Review for Book of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale

Book of a Thousand DaysBook of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

gaaaaah I loved it, I loved it, I loved it sooo much.

Okay, so Dashti is a lady's maid and is trapped in a tower with her lady for the period of seven years (they do manage to escape before that time is up). Dashti has a book with her, in which she details the days she has spent in the tower and otherwise. This may seem to be slow, after all, how many big/important things can happen while two girls are trapped in a tower and can't even see the sunlight properly?

You maybe right, but honestly, I didn't even notice it, if it was so. In addition, it wasn't as if there were mindless arbitrary actions depicted in detail . Miss Hale's writing through Dashti's voice really brings you into the story and you lose yourself in it. And I also think the pacing felt right.

Dashti is a brave character, an optimist (I really believe it was that facet to her personality that made her not give up, so I guess tenacious is another one) and loyal to a fault, and I mean really to a fault because there were times when I got frustrated with her, because of what she would do for Lady Saren (I'm coming to her later). She does change with regards to that later on, not that she still isn't loyal, because she is, but she is able to have a backbone as to how the gentry should be treated.

Lady Saren, I wavered between being sorry for her, frustrated at her and disliking her. In the end though, her character also found growth, and managed to find her inner strength, and at the end of the book I felt proud of her as did Dashti. She really came through.

All in all, if you read this book it will leave you with warm and fluffy feelings. It happened to me ^_^ and hey, I'm still grinning as I write this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment