Saturday 12 May 2012

Review for A Confusion of Princes by Garth Nix

A Confusion of PrincesA Confusion of Princes by Garth Nix
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Khemri is a prince of the Empire and as such believes that ultimately he will become prince. This is understandable, due to the factt that when he was a toddler he was isolated, and basically taught to believe he would be Emperor. Unfortunately for Khem, as the book progresses, he begins to realise this is not necessarily so, and also, some truths about the Empire.

Oh man, I really wanted to like this book, the cover was pretty and the summary sounded intriguing, and I guess in a way it was, but the book from the beginning confused me. I guess it's because this is, the first really detailed sci-fi book I've read. My only other sci-fi encounters (that I can recall) have been watching Star Wars (the six movies) and reading Academy 7.

Even afterwards though, when I got a somewhat loose hold on the world, the pacing was so slow. Usually I wouldn't mind that, (Some may say Starcrossed by Elizabeth C. Bunce was a bit slow to start, but I loved it regardless), but with A Confusion of Princes, I had to pause it and start up another book.

This only really started to pick up by Chapter 15/16, which is more than halfway into the book.

That said, I did enjoy the latter part (which saved it from a 2.5 star rating), and it didn't feel as tedious to read through. And although, I couldn't understand fully most of it, you can tell that planning went into the world-building of this book.

Extra Points for being a stand-alone too. (^_^)



No comments:

Post a Comment